- Mix the flour and herbs in a bowl.
- Mash the pilchards with their sauce and add to the flour and herb mixture.
- Mix this together with the buttermilk and salt to taste.
- Mix until all the ingredients are combined.
- Place the mixture into a greased loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 45 – 60 minutes at 180ºC.
- Serve hot with grated cheddar cheese.
Optional: Serve with a herb and garlic butter made from 2 tbsp freshly chopped mixed herbs and 2 crushed garlic cloves, mixed into 125g softened butter.